More Hot Tub History...
- The word SPA - "medicinal or mineral spring," 1626, from name of health resort in eastern Belgium, known since 14c., that featured mineral springs believed to have curative properties. The place name is from Walloon espa "spring, fountain."
- Verse 2 of Genesis speaks of water - "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt received therapeutic baths and muscle treatments for his debilitating pain of polio during his administration from 1933-1945.
- The first wooden hot tubs began to appear in the 1960's in California. Inspired by the Japanese ofuru, these early prototypes were still made from used oak barrels, wine tanks and olive vats from nearby wineries.
Hot tub facts continued...
- In 1954, an Italian family of seven brothers lead by Joseph Jacuzzi developed a portable whirlpool pump for a relative suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
- According to legend, Iroquois people helped Sir William Johnson recover from illness by recommending the "medicine spring of the Great Spirit" at Saratoga Springs in New York.
- From about 800 BC, In Bath, England the hot springs were used for healing.
- Around 1589 according to historians, Queen Elizabeth I insisted on bathing in Bath, England at least once a month, "whether she needed it or not"
- The Diocletian was the largest of all Roman baths. Completed in A.D. 305, it covered an area of 130,000 sq. yards or about 28 acres!
- Hippocrates (460-375 BC), the founder of systematic medicine, recommended hydrotherapy as the treatment of disorders such as jaundice and rheumatism.
- When the shortcomings of wooden hot tubs became apparent, fiberglass shell hot tubs began to appear on the market around 1970.
- The gel-coat fiberglass construction had its own drawbacks, and was soon replaced by cast acrylic shells.
- Then in the early 90's, providing true whirlpool treatement and newer shell technologies, Nordic Hot Tubs created an in-house molding technique and coupled it with their DTS™, or Dual Therapy System.
- The Nordic result is an High Quality, High Performace Hot Tub at a fraction of the price making it affordable to everyone.